PICTURE: Lesley Gillespie, Director of Bakers Delight Holdings Ltd
Brian Hansen, Director and President of the Canadian Australian Chamber of Commerce (CACC), is delighted to announce the appointment of Lesley Gillespie OAM to the organisation’s Board of Directors.
With this appointment, Mrs Gillespie becomes the second female Director on the CACC’s Board.
“Mrs Gillespie is a recognised business leader in both Australia and Canada, the CACC is privileged to have her involved,” said Mr Hansen.
“With a successful family business (Bakers Delight) that has expanded across Canada, Mrs Gillespie’s entrepreneurship is a testament to the work of the CACC, which is to forge trade and business activities between the two countries.”
Currently, Mrs Gillespie is Director of Bakers Delight Holdings Ltd which overseas all bakery operations across four countries (Australia, New Zealand, Canada and USA).
“My relationship with Canada goes back to 2003 when I relocated from Melbourne to Vancouver with my husband and children to launch our first Canadian bakery, COBS Bread,” said Mrs Gillespie.
“Since then, the Canadian aspect of our business has expanded to nearly 100 locations across four provinces.
“I am proud to represent the CACC, promoting and encouraging business connections between Australia and Canada.”
In her role as Chair of the CACC’s Melbourne Committee, Mrs Gillespie will specifically focus on furthering the work of the CACC in the Melbourne market.
Melbourne-based CACC Director, Mike McGrath said of Mrs Gillespie’s appointment, “The CACC overall will benefit from Mrs Gillespie’s significant international experience, as will Melbourne, in particular.”
“Mrs Gillespie’s business reach is international, however her roots are here, in Melbourne. I am thrilled to have Mrs Gillespie here, supporting the local perspective of the CACC,” he said.
Mrs Gillespie has been recognised for her many achievements with:
- Fellowship from Monash University in 2013, where she earned an Honours Degree in Science and a Diploma of Education
- Recipient of the Order of Australia (OAM) in 2006 in recognition of her work in business and commerce and philanthropy
- Finalist in the 2004 Prime Minister’s Award for Community Partnerships
- Recipient of the 2002 Boroondara Citizen of the Year (an award shared with her husband, Roger)
And, Mrs Gillespie’s extensive and generous philanthropic commitments include:
- Partnership between Bakers Delight and Breast Cancer Network Australia
- Patron of the Margaret Pratt Foundation
- Patron of the Hawthorn Community Chest
- Chair, Business School Industry Advisory Board, Swinburne University.